Classes starting every Monday!
Request Info
  • By clicking 'Continue', I consent to receive telephone calls and text messages from TransTech containing information at the number above about their programs. I understand that the calls and messages may be initiated with automated equipment and that I am not required to provide this consent to be eligible to apply.
Overhead shot of Newton Campus


Certified Third-party testing site for CDL Skills Exam

Our team of state-licensed examiners is here to guide you through the process and ensure you are well-prepared for the road ahead. We understand the importance of convenience and efficiency in achieving this milestone, so we offer the option to schedule your test for a time that works best for you. Whether you’re a busy student or a working professional, we strive to accommodate your schedule and make the testing process as seamless as possible.

With our commitment to accessibility, we provide 3 Convenient Locations to choose from, ensuring you can find a testing center that suits your needs. Our facilities are equipped with state-of-the-art testing equipment to assess your driving skills accurately. Additionally, rental vehicles are available for your convenience if you prefer not to use your own vehicle for the examination. This option allows you to focus solely on showcasing your driving abilities without any worries about the vehicle’s condition.

At our testing centers, we prioritize creating a positive and stress-free environment for all aspiring drivers. Whether you’re a first-time driver or seeking to renew your license, our examiners are dedicated to helping you navigate the road to success. Schedule your test today and take the first step towards the freedom of the open road!

How do I schedule a testing appointment?

Testing appointments are scheduled weekly and must be processed by Thursday at 1:00 PM to be considered for scheduling for the following week. Please allow a minimum of 2 hours to complete the testing session. Full payment must be received before any testing session will be scheduled.

If I bring my vehicle, what documentation is required?

  • Vehicle registration / including proper tag documentation
  • Annual Vehicle Inspection
  • Trailer Inspection (if needed)
  • Current Fuel decals (IFTA/IN)
  • Vehicle/Trailer must display the GVWR

What Kind of License Do I Need?

TransTech, Inc. offers various commercial driver’s license skills examinations; however, many individuals are unsure of what type of license is needed. Below is a breakdown of the wide variety of equipment available in today’s transportation industry – and, as a result, the type of license required to

Class A CDL

Class “A” is needed to drive any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds. A Class “A” license entitles the licensee to operate Class “B” and “C” vehicles.

Below are a few examples of vehicles that qualify for a Class A license:

Class B CDL

Class “B” CDL is needed to drive a single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of over 26,000 pounds or any such vehicle towing not over 10,000 pounds. Class “B” license also entitles the licensee to operate Class “C” vehicles. A charter bus or motor coach may also be required to have the licensee possess a Passenger Endorsement.

Below are a few examples of vehicles that qualify for a Class “B” CDL:


There are multiple classes of Commercial Driver’s License

Class A – Combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the unit being towed is 10,001 pounds or greater.

Class B – Single vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 or more and towing any such unit with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 10,001 pounds.


The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration allows for certain exemptions with regard to a driver being required to be commercially licensed – they are as follows:

  • Vehicles for personal use
  • Military vehicles
  • Emergency vehicles – including police, fire and rescue.
  • Farm vehicles
    • Operated by the farmer or farm employees for the exclusive use of the farm.
    • Used for the transport of agricultural products, supplies, or equipment to and from the farm.
    • Not used as a for-hire vehicle
    • Used within 150 miles of the farmer’s farm.

To schedule a CDL Third Party Skills Examination, please get in touch with any of the below locations:


5077 Hendersonville Road
Asheville, NC 28806
(828) 483–6666


4424 Wilkinson Blvd
Charlotte, NC 28208
(704) 597–9550


1261 US Hwy 70
Newton, NC 28658
(828) 464–8001


Need to start your CDL Training? Reach out to our Admissions Team at 844-633-9308, and they’ll assist you with any inquiries and guide you toward embarking on a fresh career journey!